With the government drive for a more healthy nation and the public desire to experience more outdoor pursuits, the sport, leisure, health and fitness sector is predicted to be one of the largest growth employment areas in the South West and nationally.
With the influence of the London 2012 Olympics still very much being felt, demand for qualified and trained employees has risen even higher and 16-24 year olds make up 24% of the employees in the sector.
The industry is wide ranging, from coaching, instruction and rehabilitation, through to expeditions and outdoor sport activities and leisure development.
Employers look for people with good communications skills, enthusiasm and stamina; who are well organized and who like working with people.
You might want to be:
- A Sports Coach/Gym Instructor
- A Sports Scout
- A Leisure Centre Manager/Worker
- A Sports Therapist
- A Sports Development Officer
- An Outdoor Pursuits Instructor
- A Sports Scientist
- A Sports Psychologist
- A Sports Teacher.
We offer you:
- Highly trained and qualified staff
- Facilities through partnerships with The Oasis and other local centres
- Opportunity to progress to Foundation & Honours Degrees
- Attendance and participation at sports events
- Realistic working environments
- Relevant trips and visits
- Close links with local employers
- Practical outdoor experiences such as rock climbing, kayaking & orienteering
- The opportunity to gain additional qualifications related to the industry.
Click here for full information on the courses in this area, as listed below:
Level 1 - Sports and Public Services BTEC Diploma
Level 2 - Sport BTEC First Diploma
Level 3 - Sport: Specialising in Coaching Development, Fitness, Outdoor Adventure & Exercise Science BTEC Diploma / Extended National Diploma.
For extra UCAS points or to boost your prospects in general, A Levels you could study alongside your Level 3 course as Swindon College include:
A Level Business Studies
A Level English
A Level Maths
A Level Human Biology
A Level Psychology
A Level Sociology
A Level Law
A Level Extended Project.